Warning: This story contains details of sexual assault that may distress some readers.
Three young men have been jailed after being found guilty of raping a young German backpacker they met during New Year’s Eve celebrations in Auckland, New Zealand.
The men, who are asylum seekers from a war-torn country, continue to have interim name suppression and are identified only as B, O and S were sentenced in the High Court at Auckland on Friday over the attack, which took place in the early hours of New Year’s Day 2025.
Justice Mathew Downs sentenced B and O to 10 years and five months’ imprisonment, while S was jailed for eight years and 10 months.
The court heard the 19-year-old German tourist had travelled to New Zealand to fulfil her dream of living abroad before the night turned into what she described as a life-altering nightmare.
In an emotional victim impact statement read to the court, as per Stuff, the woman said her life had been “on the edge of an abyss” ever since the attack.
“I woke up on January 1, 2025, in a hospital in Auckland… in unbearable pain, with a police officer sitting across from me — and with the knowledge of what had happened.”
The woman said she continues to suffer severe psychological trauma, dissociative episodes and feelings of shame and helplessness following the attack.
Court documents reported by Stuff showed the woman met one of the defendants at Auckland’s Family Bar on Karangahape Road during New Year’s Eve celebrations. CCTV footage later showed her stumbling and heavily intoxicated as she left the nightclub with the group in the early hours of the morning.
The trio then drove her to a secluded industrial carpark in Avondale, where prosecutors said the men took turns raping her inside a van while she drifted in and out of consciousness.
Justice Downs said the victim was highly vulnerable and incapable of consenting due to her level of intoxication.

After the assault, the woman was left near her hostel without her underwear and was later found in a distressed state before being taken to the hospital.
Medical evidence presented during the trial showed she suffered severe genital injuries and bruising.
During sentencing, prosecutor Fiona Culliney said the offending had caused devastating emotional and psychological harm and described the attack as a coordinated group assault on a vulnerable young woman.
The judge rejected claims from the defendants that the sexual activity was consensual, criticising their evidence and lack of genuine remorse.
“Your offending was regular, degrading and showed a complete disregard for the victim’s dignity and safety.”
The court also heard that two of the men had taken photos or videos during the assault.
Lawyers for the trio sought permanent name suppression, arguing publication would cause extreme hardship to the men and their families. However, prosecutors opposed the applications, citing overwhelming public interest and the seriousness of the offence.
Justice Downs indicated there was a “very real chance” suppression would eventually be lifted, although defence lawyers signalled plans to appeal.
If you or someone you know needs support, help is available through sexual assault support services and emergency assistance lines in Australia and New Zealand.
Get Help in NZ
Rape Crisis 0800 88 33 00, click link for local helplines.
Victim Support 0800 842 846.
Safetalk text 4334, phone 0800 044 334, webchat safetotalk.nz or email support@safetotalk.nz.
The Harbour Online support and information for people affected by sexual abuse.
Women’s Refuge 0800 733 843
Male Survivors Aotearoa Helplines across NZ, click to find out more (males only).
If you or someone else is in immediate danger, call 111.
Support our Journalism
No-nonsense journalism. No paywalls. Whether you’re in Australia, the UK, Canada, the USA, or India, you can support The Australia Today by taking a paid subscription via Patreon or donating via PayPal — and help keep honest, fearless journalism alive.

