Canadian police has smashed an all Punjabis drugs and weapons syndicate, with ties to the U.S. and India.
This according to insauga has led to charges against 25 people in Ontario.
These people belong to South Asian dominated suburb of Brampton.
According to reports, the police found some of the drugs hidden at kids indoor playground.
York Regional Police and other law enforcement agencies started “Project Cheetah” a year ago.
This investigation began following a large network of drug trade that involved importing cocaine, heroin, opium and ketamine into Canada.
According to the police, the drugs were distributed across the country through a sophisticated system run by the traffickers.
On April 8, police in Ontario, British Columbia and California executed more than 50 search warrants, resulting in 33 people charged in total with more than 130 criminal offences.
Officers seized approximately $2.3 million worth of drugs including: Ten kilograms of cocaine, eight kilograms of ketamine, three kilograms of heroin and 2.5 kilograms of opium. Investigators also seized 48 firearms and $730,000 in Canadian currency.
York police Inspector Ryan Hogan said in a statement:
“Of particular concern when we look at heroin, a very insidious drug causing great harm to our community, a number of kilograms are alleged to be seized from a playland in Brampton. This puts children at risk.”
Police further added that the guns were lawfully possessed by a person who now faces charges.
“They have been seized as a result of a serious threat to public safety under provisions that are afforded to us by the Criminal Code.”
Most of the people charged are from the GTA:
- Rupinder Sharma, 25, of Vaughan;
- Prabhsimaran Kaur, 25, of Vaughan;
- Parshotem Malhi, 54, of Brampton;
- Rupinder Dhillon, 37, of Brampton;
- Sanveer Singh, 25, of Brampton;
- Haripal Nagra, 45, of Brampton;
- Hassam Syed, 30, of Brampton;
- Pritpal Singh, 56, of Brampton;
- Harkiran Singh, 33, of Brampton;
- Lakhpreet Brar, 29, of Brampton;
- Didy Adansi, 52, of Toronto;
- Sarbjit Singh, 43, of Woodstock;
- Balwinder Dhaliwal, 60, of Brampton;
- Rupinder Dhaliwal, 39, of Toronto;
- Ranjit Singh, 40, of Toronto;
- Sukhmanpreet Singh, 23, of Brampton;
- Khushal Bhinder, 36, of Brampton;
- Prabhjeet Mundian, 34, of Brampton;
- Vansh Aurora, 24, of Brampton;
- Simranjeet Narang, 28, of Brampton;
- Harjinder Jhaj, 28, of Caledon;
- Gaganpreet Gill, 28, of Brampton;
- Sukjit Dhaliwal, 47, of Brampton;
- Imran Khan, 33, of Toronto;
- Chinedu Ajoku, 51, of Brampton;
- Harjot Singh, 31, of Brampton; and
- Sukhjit Dhugga, 35, of Brampton.
Police are also searching for one other man, Gurbinder Sooch, 41.
Police say the investigation is ongoing and anyone with information is asked to contact the York Regional Police Organized Crime and Intelligence Services at 1-866-876-5423 ext. 7818, or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-tips.