A laser hair removal device has triggered a major security scare at Victoria’s Avalon Airport, prompting a partial evacuation, flight delays, and a bomb squad response after it was detected during routine screening.
Emergency services were called to the airport near Geelong shortly before 6 am on Thursday after security staff identified a suspicious item during screening.
The domestic terminal was evacuated, and part of the airport was cordoned off as a precaution while Victoria Police investigated.
Victoria Police’s Bomb Response Unit attended the scene and examined the item before determining it was not an explosive device.
Police later confirmed the item was a laser hair removal device. 9News reported it was found alongside a package of hot chocolate.
One man was detained during the operation but was later released from custody, with police confirming no charges had been laid.
Victoria Police Acting Inspector Nick Uebergang said the man who owned the bag had not been cooperative with authorities, which complicated the response.
“It made things difficult; we could have averted things and got out of here a lot quicker,” he said.
“He wasn’t giving us too much information at all, on what was in his bag.”
Despite the item later being deemed harmless, Acting Inspector Uebergang praised airport security for escalating the matter to the police.
“[We] want security to take these measures,” he said.
Avalon Airport said the response showed screening and safety systems were working as intended.
The airport said,
“Today’s response demonstrates the vigilance of the screening and security processes, with precautionary measures taken immediately to ensure the safety of passengers, staff and the broader community, which will always remain our highest priority.”
The security scare disrupted travellers, with passengers reporting long queues, confusion and blocked access to the terminal.
Images from the scene showed vehicles backed up outside the airport and security vehicles blocking entrances. Passengers arriving from Bali were reportedly escorted off their aircraft and moved to a holding area.
A Brisbane-bound flight was among services affected, with police advising passengers earlier in the morning that delays were expected due to safety precautions.
The travellers described the situation as “a bit of mayhem”, with one passenger saying “no one knew what was going on” as police vehicles entered the airport.
Avalon Airport, located about 50 kilometres south-west of Melbourne’s CBD, later reopened, though passengers were warned additional delays could continue through the day.
The incident has highlighted the sensitivity of airport screening processes and the disruption that can follow when passengers are unable or unwilling to clearly explain unusual items in their luggage.
Authorities said the response was precautionary and aimed at ensuring the safety of passengers, airport staff and the wider community.
Support our Journalism
No-nonsense journalism. No paywalls. Whether you’re in Australia, the UK, Canada, the USA, or India, you can support The Australia Today by taking a paid subscription via Patreon or donating via PayPal — and help keep honest, fearless journalism alive.

