Maharashtra, Kerala, Punjab, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat and Karnataka continue to report a high number of new COVID-19 cases.
The the Union Health ministry reported that these 6 states account for 85.51 per cent of fresh cases.
A total of 17,407 new infections have been registered in a day making India’s total COVID-19 active caseload to reach 1,73,413.
Maharashtra has reported the highest daily new cases at 9,855, followed by Kerala with 2,765, and Punjab reported 772 new cases.
“Maharashtra, Gujarat, Punjab and Madhya Pradesh are showing a rise in active cases.”
More than 1.66 crore vaccine doses have been administered through 3,23,064 sessions and includes:
- 67,90,808 health care workers (HCWs 1st dose),
- 28,72,725 HCWs (2nd dose),
- 58,03,856 front line workers (FLWs 1st dose),
- 4,202 FLWs (2nd Dose),
- 1,43,759 beneficiaries aged more than 45 years with specific co-morbidities (1st dose), and
- 10,00,698 beneficiaries aged more than 60 years.
India has seen 89 deaths in a span of 24 hours with Maharashtra 42, Kerala 15 and Punjab 12.
The ministry reported that the total number of cases with new variants of SARS-CoV-2 in the country has reached 242.