Hotel hit with penalties after 13-year-old saves family lost off WA’s South West coast

on

A Perth hotel has been penalised after failing to raise the alarm when a family went missing off WA’s South West coast, prompting a harrowing rescue by their 13-year-old son.

Austin Appelbee swam four kilometres through rough surf and ran two kilometres to alert police that his mum, Joanne, and younger siblings, Beau, 12, and Grace, 8, were stranded at sea on January 30.

The family had been staying at Club Wyndham in Dunsborough, where they signed out watersport equipment including a kayak and paddleboards. Despite being gone for nine hours, the hotel failed to notice their absence.

As per 7News, WorkSafe has issued compliance notices to the hotel, banning it from lending aquatic equipment until safety requirements are met.

Austin’s calm and heroic efforts captured international attention. “We couldn’t get back to shore, and mum told me to go back to get help,” he told reporters.

“I think we need a helicopter to go find them.”

The schoolboy’s bravery ensured his family was found 14 kilometres offshore at around 8.30pm, clinging to a paddleboard.

WA Police Minister Reece Whitby praised Austin’s courage and determination, saying,

“Austin, remarkable bravery… in a couple of years you’ll be invited to join the academy. We could do with good young men like you.”

WA Premier Roger Cook echoed the praise, calling Austin’s rescue “an extraordinary effort,” while the family expressed immense pride in the teenager’s actions.

Support our Journalism

No-nonsense journalism. No paywalls. Whether you’re in Australia, the UK, Canada, the USA, or India, you can support The Australia Today by taking a paid subscription via Patreon or donating via PayPal — and help keep honest, fearless journalism alive.

Add a little bit of body text 8 1 1
spot_img
spot_img