Nabeel Qaisir charged with five counts of rape after alleged Mount Pleasant home invasion

on

A 27-year-old man has faced court accused of breaking into a home in South Australia’s Adelaide Hills and sexually assaulting a person who was not known to him.

Nabeel Qaisir, of Pakistani origin living in Adelaide’s north, appeared in Adelaide Magistrates Court on Thursday, charged with five counts of rape, one count of indecent assault and one count of aggravated serious criminal trespass.

The alleged incident happened at Mount Pleasant, a small town north-east of Adelaide, in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

SA Police said officers were called to the property just before 3 am after the alleged victim contacted authorities. Police allege Qaisir broke into the home and sexually assaulted the occupant, who was not previously known to him.

Court documents allege the offences involved sexual intercourse without consent and occurred between May 18 and May 21 at Mount Pleasant.

Qaisir appeared by video link from court cells with his head wrapped in bloodied bandages and remained silent during the short hearing. He did not apply for bail and was remanded in custody until his next court appearance in October.

According to reports, police launched a search of Mount Pleasant and surrounding areas involving SA Police, STAR Group officers and the Special Criminal Investigation Section. Qaisir was arrested in the town at about 10.30 am on Wednesday.

Footage reported by 7News showed officers running through the town before arresting a man at the Mt Pleasant Bakery & Cafe, where workers reportedly said he had asked about a job advertised in the window.

Police said the alleged victim and the accused were not known to each other, and investigators believe the alleged attack was an isolated incident. No other suspects are being sought.

A white 2000 Mazda Bravo utility believed to have been used by the accused was later located in Adelaide’s north-eastern suburbs. Police said the vehicle was not believed to be directly connected to the alleged incident but had been seized for forensic testing.

Investigators are appealing for anyone who saw or interacted with Qaisir in the 24 hours before the alleged attack to contact police.

SA Police previously described the man they were seeking as being of Middle Eastern appearance, about 175 centimetres tall, with short black hair, unshaven, wearing a black shirt and sandy-coloured pants.

Anyone with information has been urged to contact the Police Assistance Line on 131 444 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000, quoting reference 132649.

Support our Journalism

No-nonsense journalism. No paywalls. Whether you’re in Australia, the UK, Canada, the USA, or India, you can support The Australia Today by taking a paid subscription via Patreon or donating via PayPal — and help keep honest, fearless journalism alive.

Add a little bit of body text 8 1 1
spot_img