Federal and Tasmanian governments unveil plan for 1,000 homes on former Defence land

on

The Federal and Tasmanian governments have unveiled plans to transform a former Defence site at Dowsing Point in Hobart into a major new housing precinct expected to deliver up to 1,000 homes.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese announced the redevelopment alongside Tasmanian Premier Jeremy Rockliff on Sunday, describing the 31-hectare waterfront site as one of the country’s most exciting housing projects.

The development will be built on Defence land identified for divestment under the Federal Government’s Defence Estate reform program, which aims to reduce the number of underused Defence properties and redirect proceeds back into military infrastructure and capability upgrades.

Image Source X/AlboMP

Albanese said the project would help tackle housing shortages while making better use of valuable public land close to Hobart’s CBD. “This transformation could result in up to 1,000 new homes,” he said.

“We know the security of a roof over your head is a precondition for a good life, for good educational outcomes, for good health outcomes and for good employment outcomes.”

The Prime Minister said the project would include a mix of private, affordable and social housing, along with open space and community infrastructure.

Rockliff said the redevelopment would boost housing supply in Tasmania while creating a new waterfront community close to jobs, transport and key attractions including MONA and the Cadbury factory.

“One of the best ways we can support Tasmanians into their own homes is to increase supply, and that’s exactly what we have here at Dowsing Point,” he said.

Assistant Defence Minister Peter Khalil said the Albanese Government had committed to the largest Defence Estate reform in Australia’s history, with 67 sites across the country earmarked for divestment.

He said consultation with local communities had already shaped plans for the site, including retaining the Veterans’ Men Shed operating there.

Image Source X/AlboMP

Tasmanian Housing Minister Kerry Vincent said the location presented a rare opportunity to create a well-planned residential community close to existing infrastructure and services.

Glenorchy Mayor Sue Hickey said all levels of government were working together to address the housing crisis.

“Over a thousand homes are expected to be here, and the partnership between governments will ensure we build a community people want to live in and love for decades to come.”

The site will now undergo planning, valuation and consultation processes before redevelopment begins.

Support our Journalism

No-nonsense journalism. No paywalls. Whether you’re in Australia, the UK, Canada, the USA, or India, you can support The Australia Today by taking a paid subscription via Patreon or donating via PayPal — and help keep honest, fearless journalism alive.

Add a little bit of body text 8 1 1
spot_img